Monday, June 01, 2020

The Rogers FAN Club - Day 19 - 21 Day Family Connections Experiment


Today is Day 19 of my 21 Day Family Connections Experiment.



I am getting very close to the closing days of this experiment. Time to think about what's ahead.

Certainly, I will sort myself out some regular days to work on my family treasures, even after we are no longer so much 'at home'. 

Interesting that I've learned quite a bit more about some of these things I've been looking at all or almost all of my life. Remember the measuring cup I wrote about on Day 1, for instance. 

And I have opened up boxes I've been avoiding too :-) Some that others might just toss unopened.

Like the boxes of very old business files sitting patiently gathering dust while waiting for me. I won't be keeping everything, of course. A lot of paper is already in the recycling pile to go. There are old manuals, old receipts, a few photographs I've already pulled out and scanned. I just found the instructions for the old dolly I still use to take out heavier recyclables! 

But there are many clues in these files for my parents' Genealogy FAN clubs - their Friends, Associates, Neighbours.

Over the years, I have done bits of research on family friends and other people I remember. Several of the friends remained single and seemed to have few remembrances left behind. 

Now I am hoping to see a few more genealogy gems in here, like these few letters, likely the last ones Dad received from his friend, Walter Cooper. 

I've posted a bit about the Cooper family before. See With the Coopers in Seattle, 1949


Walter and his wife did visit Vancouver, BC to see Mum and Dad in the early 1980s. I have seen no photographs from that visit and have very few of my parents from that decade. I had always hoped the Cooper family might still have some. But these letters don't mention photos. 

Wish me luck!

One of the business files with letters and an obituary for Dad's childhood friends, the Coopers. (I have blocked out addresses for privacy reasons.)


For more about the 21 Day Family Connections Experiment, see my first Experiment article here.




No comments: