Saturday, May 30, 2020

A 'Last Ride' - Day 17 - 21 Day Family Connections Experiment

Today is... Day 17 - 21 Day Family Connections Experiment


And it's Saturday, time for Randy Seaver's Saturday Night Genealogy Fun.

I don't always participate, but again this week, it seems an appropriate theme for my 21 days Experiment - and a conversation starter, for genealogists, at least. 

Randy's asked his readers to "Consider where you would go on your 'last ride.'...Tell us about your own Memory Lane." Have a read about his own last ride here.

If mine was a recap of my life and times, it could be boring even for me - pretty much an 'unrecognizable' west/east Vancouver, with Stanley Park and QE Park, and side jaunts to Chilliwack and Port Moody - both of those places have been vastly changed since I lived there too - and maybe Bowen Island and Wigwam Inn. 

Remembrance candles, All Souls event, Mountain View Cemetery, Vancouver, BC, Canada, October 2014. Photographer: M. Diane Rogers.

And even though I write a lot about memories (and my stuff), I don't think of my life that way most of the time. I've been pretty lucky so far; most of the best parts turned out better than I figured, and the bad bits were at least short. 

As I've been looking to re-organize my own photographs, I have been thinking of the places I've been to research family. Many I'd like to see again, of course, and I've not yet made it to a few important ones, like Sweden, for instance. Could that be a 'last ride'? 

But at one point, I was planning to travel 'around the world' (for real, not via Zoom, nice as that is). That could be a great 'last ride'!  Or even riding across Canada by train; that likely would cost more than the world, but taking the train to the Calgary Stampede when I was 12 is still one of my very favourite memories. 



 Mountain View Cemetery, Autumn 2012, Vancouver, BC, Canada. Photographer: M. Diane Rogers

I'm right with Randy on one point, I want to go out with my 'boots on' and my mind and whatever automagical devices we have then still whirling with research finds. And I'll just need a minute or two more to make sure my FamilySearch tree and my Saggers One-Name Study are up to date and then a quick flip to the end of my mystery book to see 'who done it'.  

I know where I want to 'end up' - at Mountain View Cemetery in Vancouver, BC. There's space there for me, with mum and dad, uncle David and grandma and grandpa. And lots of other relatives besides, including one set of greats. Now I'm wondering how they all feel about bagpipes. Mum won't mind if the piping can be a little ways off. Dad will just want to know who's paying the piper. Grandma and Grandpa, being so English, might not be impressed! 


For more about the 21 Day Family Connections Experiment, see my first Experiment article here.

3 comments:

Randy Seaver said...

Thank you for sharing. It was a hard subject. I know not everyone has lived in one place all their life.

Valerie Hughes Martinez said...

I enjoyed reading the blog. Some great points to think about! I have loved in 7 States and too many cities and homes than I can count.

Laura Hedgecock said...

I loved your summary " I've been pretty lucky so far; most of the best parts turned out better than I figured, and the bad bits were at least short." I'm sure your descendants are very happy you write down your stories.