Sunday, January 31, 2021

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun - Your Best Summer Vacation as a KId

Randy Seaver's been busy again this weekend with his Saturday Night Genealogy Fun!!  challenge. This time he wants to know about 'best summer vacations'.  

I wrote about this quite a while ago, even posted some photos, so I point to that article, written for the 5th Edition of the Canadian Genealogy Carnival way back in 2009, on Sunday, July 12th. Do follow the link and read this again. 

One thing I've realized now though is that our 'big' family vacations weren't in the summer, but rather at Easter time when, in my day, there was always a 10 day or so school holiday. 

Although I don't know for sure, I suspect that by Easter my mum, 'a prairie girl',  was tired of Vancouver's rain and looking forward to, for example, some California sun. 

Summer here is always nice, so we didn't have to go too far from home to have a sunshiny 'day trip' as my dad called it, off to Hope or somewhere to see the country. or for a few days on a little holiday to Vancouver Island, or Sechelt or Bowen Island, or Alta Lake which was a favourite because Dad could always go up on the train and stay for a day or so, then back to work he went. (You may know the Alta Lake area now as Whistler.)

Fun memories! 

1 comment:

Linda Stufflebean said...

I read your other post. You had some really fun vacations. I loved Jay Silverheels in the Lone Ranger, although after I learned Spanish, I realized what a terrible name writers had given his character.