Friday, November 29, 2019

Family puzzle or treasure? Scott - Wood family, Nottawa, Ontario, Canada

Just a fun reminder - 

No genealogist is too old to take another look at a family photo or record.


While working on a presentation this month to the Victoria (BC) Genealogical Society, I found myself drawn to one particular photograph of my Wood-Scott family taken in Nottawa, Ontario (about 1907?).

This is one of my favourites from my grandmother's collection and I've long ago decided on what the photo says to me :-)  I may write about that another time.



My great aunts, Ann and Harriet, with Mary Menzies, great uncle Sam, great grandmother Mary Janet Scott (born Wood), and her father, my great great Samuel Wood, at the dining table in their home in Nottawa, Ontario, Canada. At this time, Mary Janet's other son, James Walter, was living and working in Newdale, Manitoba, Canada. Irwin-Scott private collection.


What finally caught my attention was the tea set on the table. As many do, I've been turning out my closets and rediscovering many old things. I'd just a week or so before unwrapped a pretty sugar bowl and set it on my windowsill. 

Now I think it may be all that's left of the set on the table in the photograph. My mother always told me her dad Walter had sent his mother china home as gifts and I do have other similar era pieces, verified by my mum. Now I'll have treasure this one too. 





Never stop looking, puzzling, thinking about your family history. 

New information and new insights and ideas may appear! 




3 comments:

Judy and Michael said...

I love making discoveries from old photos! They tell us so much!

Unknown said...

Hello
I am also looking for pictures of Reverend Scott and his family. My grandmother was Mary Menzies, who Reverend and Mrs Scott had adopted as a Scottish orphan in 1891 or so.
There was a more formal picture of the Scott family with my grandmother that was at my cousins house, she died recently and I'm trying to track it down. Once (or if) I find it, I'll be happy to send you a copy.
If you have a clearer picture of the above photo, I'd greatly appreciate a copy.

With best wishes

Peter Jardine

M. Diane Rogers said...

Dear Peter,

I am very happy to hear from you and happy to share. Please e-mail me at canadagenealogy@shaw.ca I know I have a few more photos of Mary, but I don't think I have a formal photo. I would love to have a copy of that one.