Monday, July 22, 2019

Saturday NIght Genealogy Fun - Questions 16-20


Last week I answered 15 questions for Randy Seaver's Genealogy Fun at Genea-Musings. This month he asked genealogists to answer the 20 questions Ellen Thompson-Jennings posed at her blog, Hound on the Hunt, a few weeks ago as "Even More Questions About Your Ancestors and Maybe A Few About You".

I'm looking forward to reading all the answers. Hope someone has compiled these. 




From the Rogers recipe box. Now - which Jean gave this recipe out? 
I think I know but if you ate these cookies too, please contact me. 




For my answers to questions 1-10, please follow this link to my July 20th post.. 

And for questions 11-15, please follow this link to my July 14th post.


QUESTIONS 16-20


16. If you’re into DNA which would you say you work on more? Genealogy or DNA? Or about the same? 

'Genealogy' more likely for my own families. To me, the DNA test results provide me with new information and some new genealogy tools, alongside the documents, and interviews, etc. And in genealogy research, the more tools the better. Of course, sometimes you start out with only DNA results, but confirmation usually involves other sources.  

17. Do you think that your genealogy is ever really done? 

No. I’m sure I’ll never run out of people and associated places and time periods to research. There’s always something new (old) and even new people to be found.

18. Did you ever search an ancestor’s name on the internet and you were surprised at what you found? 

I do have Google Alerts for many family names and places. That’s how I learned quite a while ago that one relative is a politician. That was a bit of a surprise. My dad would have liked to know this – he was quite political himself.

 19. Do you ever feel like your ancestors are nudging you in the right direction in your research?

Well…. I’m not usually thinking like that, but there have been times. Mostly in cemeteries, when it seems I’ve walked up and down the aisles fruitlessly searching for an hour, and ‘something says’ “make a little turn and look again”. ‘Aha!’  Then again, maybe like many of my ancestors, I’m just stubborn, and won’t give up.

20. If you could give one piece of advice to someone new to genealogy, what would you tell them?  


Enjoy the genealogy hunt! Yes, be methodical and thorough, yes, cite those sources. But never stop thinking of family history research as a chance to satisfy your curiosity about people and places you knew - and those you never knew in person - and, indeed, to meet new-to-you relatives and make genealogy friends too 

7 comments:

Devon Noel Lee said...

Great ancestors. There are times when I feel like my ancestors nudge me and other times I wish they would nudge harder!!!

The Bigham Family said...

I love reading these ideas. I have had experiences where I have felt my ancestors nudging me.

M. Diane Rogers said...

Thanks for stopping by. Yes, I've been trying to ID photos lately so I wish those nudges were more specific ;-)

Laura Hedgecock said...

This is fun! Made me think about my own ancestors.

Diane said...

Of all the answers, I think that I like #20's the best. To just have fun with it and satisfy your own curiosity are wonderful reasons to explore your family history! And leaving a more distinct picture of who those ancestors are for future generations is just a bonus!

Taneya said...

#17 excites me and scares me at the same time! Lol! I enjoy the hunt but wish I only had all the time in the world. 😀 Thank you for sharing!

M. Diane Rogers said...

Yes, sometimes I wish time was elastic. So many things to do (and projects to finish).