Saturday, May 25, 2019

Sunday Strays and Surnames - Roy and Leila Colwill of Manitoba, Canada

Both these lovely photographs are from my grandmother's collection and were identified by her.  I don't think they are relatives, but she must have known them in Manitoba.



Leila Colwill


Roy Colwill 


Leila (or Lela) Colwill and Roy Colwill were sister and brother. 
Their father, Septimus Edward, was a Methodist (later United Church) minister from Prince Edward Island, Canada. Their mother was Janet Wilson.


I believe Leila married Alex Seccombe and Roy, Annie Gladys Grobb.

Interestingly to me, it seems both Leila and Roy used their second names -  Annie Leila and James Roy.

Roy became a lawyer. I found his obituary in the Winnipeg Free Press, 3 April, 1954, page 33. He was survived by his wife, son George, and daughters Shirley and Joyce and by his sister.

And Leila's husband may have been born in Maple Ridge, BC? If so, his father was also a Methodist minister and the family had lived in PEI.

Leila's photograph was taken by Lusk (William C) in Portage La Prairie in Manitoba. Roy's was by Davidson Bros. in Brandon, Manitoba. (Frank Henry Gowan at one time worked for Davidson Brothers. He later became a well known British Columbia photographer.)

I would like to learn more about Leila and Roy Colwill. Please contact me if you are related or have information.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope some ancestors see your post. Great idea to feature the photos here.

Anonymous said...

I am a relative of yours! Gladys Grobb, Annie, is my Great Grandmother and James Roy my Great Grandfather (on My Grandmothers side). I have a lot of information that may help us both. Including Annies Birth certificate, their wedding announcemnts (what a HOWL reading those is). I also have a lot of information about Annies Family and parents. Please feel free to reach out !