Sunday, April 23, 2023

VANCOUVER BC Canada – Genealogy Approved Websites and Resources – A Baker’s Dozen - April 2023 Day 6

 Mountain View Cemetery is Vancouver's only cemetery, although early on there were burials at other sites. Often the death registration or a newspaper article will include a burial place. (After 1919, you may find some Vancouver residents buried in Burnaby at the Ocean View Cemetery which was perhaps seen as more modern. Or later yet in the Masonic Cemetery in Burnaby, now named the Pacific Heritage Cemetery.)

Mountain View maintains records of burials and has an online database for those buried 20 or more years ago: https://vancouver.ca/your-government/mountain-view-cemetery.aspx 

You may find gravestone photographs and maps and the names of others buried in the same area. (I usually check FindAGrave.com too as there may be additional information or other photos there.)

This is my very favourite cemetery; many relatives are buried there. And my grandpa and my dad worked there. My dad used to tell me stories; so wish I had those written down!

In the past, I've done tours there and have taken a lot of photos at Mountain View myself. 



Spring at Mountain View Cemetery, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. 

Taken by me in 2007.




The Field of Honour at the Cemetery. photo taken by me in 2010. 

Mountain View holds the graves of 581 war dead and more than 11,500 military veterans. You can search at the Commonwealth War Graves Commission for more information on those who died in service: https://www.cwgc.org



Maria Frost's grave, Mountain View Cemetery. She died in Vancouver, Oct. 1943. 

Maria and her husband, John William Frost, were neighbours in South Vancouver and, I think, friends of my grandparents. This photo was in my grandmother's album. I believe Maria's surname was Backus and that she was previously married to Alfred Ernest Cousins in England. She and John William Frost came to Canada in 1920. Please contact me if this 'rings a bell'. 





No comments: