Thursday, September 17, 2020

Our Family Bible Project ...Treasure Chest Thursday

Some of my readers - and certainly my friends and family - will know I have a lot of books. Yes, some are now virtual.  I love having a 'purseful' of books to choose from, but most of my books are on the bookshelves, on the tables, in those boxes, on that chair....

A few shelves hold only older books, ones that once belonged to grandmas, grandpas, great grandmas, a great uncle, cousins... These are my family book collection.

I remember my brother looking at the old Bibles searching to see if anyone had entered family information in them. (See he was paying attention to his big sister's research.) 

But alas, that my mum had already noted. She thought there were almost a dozen Bibles, and was sure not one person had ever written on any of the 'Family Record' pages! During her later years, these were all boxed up and stored in a closet. 

When I inherited them, I made a basic Excel list of these books (title/date/good or poor condition/whose books they were) and over the years, I've tried to keep them together on their own shelves.   I've certainly read a few from time to time! As my family research prompts me, I've written about a few and taken photos, usually at least of the covers, title pages, and any dedications and written what I know of their history.

This spring, since time was a bit heavy on my hands, I decided to do an inventory of all the Bibles. I intended to put them away for safekeeping but first I wanted to check their condition and to make better notes about each one. So here is a little case study to show what I've been up to. 

My first step was to EXAMINE & ASSESS the books for additional information and condition. In the future, I may have a conservator look at some. 

World Bible Dictionary.

The first thing I remembered while doing this was that they aren't all Bibles! There are other religious books, one quite an extensive Bible Dictionary which I've used myself, so I may want to keep that handy, and a few hymnals. Those are in poor shape - meaning to me that they were used a lot, most by my Na who sang and her sister who played piano and organ. 

One thing I had remembered was that several contain little treasures (like some of my older books)  - clippings, notes, bookmarks. Or did - most of those I had previously made notes of with the page found, and tucked them into small acid free envelopes. In cases where bookmark ribbons are attached to a book, I've noted those page numbers too. They could have been significant. (No photographs were found in these books then or now.)

 And some of the Bibles include nice old maps and even photographs which I may want to scan for my own use.

Next, I set up a pretty basic spreadsheet. But there is room to add extra detail. I may, for instance, later add the URL or title of any articles about these written either by me or someone else. 

And if someone else lets me know about a Bible related to our families, or if I find a reference to one somewhere, I would certainly add that to my list with a bold note about who has it and where and how to reach them. I might use a separate section. So far I haven't had to worry :-)

Here are the columns I'm using: 

TITLE;
PUB. DATE; 
AUTHOR, if applicable;
PUBLISHER; 
PUB. PLACE;  
CLUES? if signatures or dedications, I've written those here. Any price tags, stickers are noted. 
OWNER(S);
DETAILS [incl maps, photographs in the book]; 
CONDITION, ETC.;
NOTES. Photographs or other available & where [if I've done photos or scans] &/or storage area

And I've included this note: "Unless otherwise noted Bibles are all 'King James' version(s) with both New & Old Testaments.  All measurements approx."  

If there was a mix, I think I'd add another column and reference them with an abbreviation (like KJ), adding a list of those. 

I do have two of the exact same small New Testaments. These were given to Canadian military people during World War II. "Presented by the British & Foreign Bible Society in Canada & Newfoundland. Message from the King, dated Sept 1939."  One was found in Mum's things; so I have noted that I think the other must have been Dad's. He also had a larger Bible given to him by his mother, I believe when he was bring sent off to the USA by the Canadian Army. I never saw the Bible Society ones till it was too late to ask about them.



For the Clues column, if none appear in the book, I'm checking on-line to see what I can find out about the age or original publication of the book, e.g. the dates of Methodist Book & Publishing House.

Of course, this is the genealogists' perennial problem. One task leads to one entertaining rabbit hole after another. Given our present life situation, I haven't let that worry me at all. 

I spent quite a bit of time the other night happily chasing down on-line directories to date an address written in one of the books. And in order to read that address, I had already spent time scanning the erased address so I could make out enough to identify it. More about that story another day.

All time well spent! 
Now for STORAGE. I do not suggest following this unless you have a possible water problem. Since I'm still working on these books, I have them temporarily in a plastic (!) box. They are stacked but carefully and have lots of room. And the fragile items I have now in acid free envelopes. I'd like to have these all in acid free folders or boxes, but at the moment, I don't have enough materials. I do have lots of acid free tissue which I am using. 

Now about that plastic box. I don't mean to give any conservators the 'shivers'. I live in a building which has had leaks. That's why the plastic even though it might foster moisture or insect or other damage. Anything special I have in plastic boxes, I do open up regularly. We are being 'repiped'. Soon things may feel very different. 


Interested in learning about looking after your family treasures?

Watch for webinars and articles featuring Melissa Barker, who blogs at: A Genealogist In The Archives

The Canadian Conservation Institute has a wealth of information online: https://www.canada.ca/en/conservation-institute.html

As does the Library of Congress. Here is one of LOC's pages with guidelines about books: https://www.loc.gov/preservation/care/books.html

Some conservation supplies are available in scrapbooking stores and the like. And online. Read and compare product specifications carefully. In Canada, Carr Mclean has all kinds of conservation supplies: https://www.carrmclean.ca/

No comments: