Saturday, July 11, 2020

How Many Ancestors Have You "Met?" - Saturday Night Genealogy Fun

Over at Genea-Musings today, Randy Seaver has more questions for genealogists. Have a look at Randy's article and be sure to read the comments.

"1) Write down which of your ancestors that you have met in person (yes, even if you were too young to remember them).

2) Tell us their names, where they lived, and their relationship to you in a blog post, or in comments to this post, or in comments on Facebook."




This isn't too hard for me because it's a relatively short list.

1. I knew both my parents, and three of my grandparents. Five ancestors - that's it. I remember all of them, although my paternal grandparents only faintly. They both died when I was quite young.

2.

Mum - Janet Scott, born and brought up in Newdale, Manitoba, Canada,she went to school and later worked in Winnipeg as a young woman. She joined the Canadian Women's Army Corp. and after a bit, was sent to Washington, DC, USA during WW II. There she met and married...
 
Dad - George Rogers, born, brought up and worked in Vancouver till early in WW II when he was sent to Washington, DC where he met and married Mum. They decided they'd live in Vancouver, BC thinking that after the war there would be more opportunities here and so there were.  The last few years of their lives were spent in Burnaby, a neighbouring city to Vancouver.

Grandma - Sarah Saggers was born in Bassingbourn, Cambridgeshire, England and brought up in Little Hadham, Hertfordshire. She worked for a time in London. Later in 1907, she emigrated with her parents and brothers and sisters to live in Vancouver, Canada. She met Grandpa, Joe Rogers, in
Vancouver (maybe through her brothers and her dad?) and they married in 1915.

Grandpa - Joe Rogers. Joe was born in Toronto, Ontario. In his early 20s, he decided to cross the country, apparently with his cousin Leonard White. By 1901, they were both working in Nelson, BC. By about 1903, I believe, both had come to Vancouver. Leonard's parents soon came to live here too. Grandpa built a house in South Vancouver. Grandma and Grandpa lived there till their deaths in 1954.

Na - Amy Irwin. She also was born and brought up in Newdale, Manitoba. She met Walter Scott in Newdale -he had come from Ontario to work in a store there. They were married in 1910. She moved briefly to Winnipeg while Mum was in school there. Then back to Newdale. During WW II, when Grandpa Walter got a new job in Hamilton, Ontario, she moved there with him. Grandpa - Walter Scott - died there in 1947 before I was born. Mum persuaded Na to move to the big city - Vancouver. In time to meet me! I don't think Mum or Na ever 'looked back' but Na did keep in touch with many relatives and friends across the continent.

I've always felt I was shortchanged in the relative department! Perhaps this explains why I am so easily excited by my family research finds.

I did think it interesting to compare myself in this case to older generations. Of course, the chances of meeting or knowing older generations depends on a number of factors, including family proximity, immigration paths, and on the health of close relatives and the ages at which they had children.

My father, for instance, knew his parents, but only one grandparent. The others died quite a while before his birth.

My mother knew her parents and three of her grandparents.

Grandpa Joe only knew his parents and they died 'early' - his dad in 1887 when Grandpa was only 9, and his mum in 1897 when Grandpa was 19. Earlier he had living grandparents but in England.

Grandma Sarah, on the other hand, knew her parents, and as a girl living in an area of England where many relatives lived likely did meet two of her grandparents.

Going forward, my children know their parents, spent lots of time with all four grandparents and with one great grandparent, Na.


Amy (Irwin) Scott, with my two of her five GREAT grandchildren, about 1971, Vancouver, BC, Canada. Personal collection. 


Edited the photo caption - they were her greats! Ouch! Their mum and uncle were her grandchildren.

1 comment:

Linda Stufflebean said...

Your list matches mine in number. I never met my paternal grandfather who died of TB when my dad was 10 years old. Those who knew all grandparents and even a great or two are very lucky.