Thursday, April 30, 2020

Treasure Chest Thursday - WOOD, SCOTT; FURLONG - Nottawa, Ontario, Canada





This is a photograph of my great grandmother, Mary Janet Wood and her friend, Minnie Furlong. This is the earliest photograph that we have of Mary Janet, I believe.  Minnie was a witness to Mary Janet's marriage to Walter Scott in 1883. Walter's nephew, James Walter Scott, born in Nottawa, came from Detroit to be the second witness. I do not have any photographs of him (that I know of). 

The photographer was James Asa Castor of Collingwood, Ontario, Canada. The matting and the image are not in great shape, but I've snipped the photographer's signature and striking logo (initials) below. The museum in Collingwood has a large selection of his photographs.



J. A. Castor, Collingwood, Ont.   -   JAC


Grandma Scott and Minnie Furlong, Nottawa. 
It seems this is written in my mother's hand.


Here you can see the size of the image with mat as compared to a Canadian dime.

No comments: