Thursday, October 24, 2019

Another Stray - A Postcard this time - a birth announcement Mass. USA to Edmonton, Canada 1908


This time my Stray is not a photograph, but a postcard - a birth announcement from Massachusetts, USA sent to Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.

I picked this charming postcard up at the Vancouver Rare Book, Photograph & Paper Show this month along with some other special items. Don't miss the Show next year.



Just a line now. On my back.
June 3rd 1908 at 2 p.m.-  a 7 1/4 pound daughter.
Love Ethel H.

Sent to: 
Miss Louise D W Moore
Edmonton, Alberta
Can
Box 886




I suspect Louise D W Moore is Louise De Wolf Moore who was a teacher in Victoria, BC. She died in 1930.  That Louise's obituary in Victoria doesn't mention family. (The Daily Colonist, Victoria, BC, Canada, 15 March 1930, page 5.

I do see Louise DW Moore in the 1916 census still living with her parents in Edmonton. I'll be investigating.

Now who could Louise's friend Ethel H be? If you know or if you can read the Massachusetts postmark, please let me know.


5 comments:

Deb Ruth said...

Lovely postcard! Will be interested in hearing your continued investigation. The rest of the story. Thanks for sharing.

Allison Peacock said...

What a sweet glimpse into the past!

ScotSue said...

A charming image and you have fired me with enthusiasm to find vintage postcards and try to research the sender and recipient.

Diane said...

Diane,
This is a nice treasure that you found! Do you have any connection to the Moore name, or just liked the postcard?

The Bigham Family said...

I love this. I often see old family pictures when I go antique shopping and am sad they are lost to the family. I have a couple of photos that I bought with names on the back. This gave me the idea to post about them on my blog and maybe we will find a family I can send them too.