Tuesday, June 11, 2019


Year ago, it seems, I participated in a web exchange on "BOOKS FOR A DESERT ISLAND-25 volumes". I've been combing through my old files for paper to cull, and found my list. 

The interesting thing to me was - it's still a great list for me. Although if I can have 30 or 50 (!), I'd now add a lot more Canadian and women writers.



Sherlock Holmes and Doctor Watson. Published in The Adventure of Silver Blaze, which appeared in The Strand Magazine in December 1892, with the caption "HOLMES GAVE ME A SKETCH OF THE EVENTS." Artist, Sidney Paget. Courtesy Wikipedia

  • Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe
  • An English translation of The Swiss Family Robinson, by Johann David Wyss (childhood favourite)
  • The Canterbury Tales, in Middle English, by Geoffrey Chaucer (a well annotated edition)
  • Collected Poems of Robert Burns
  • Collected Poems of William Wordsworth
  • Beowulf, translation by Frederick Rebsamen or Seamus Heaney
  • Any Dr Doolittle, by Hugh Lofting (childhood favourites)
  • Lord Peter Takes The Case (four Wimsey novels) by Dorothy Sayers
  • War & Peace, (in English) by Leo Tolstoy-always meant to read it again
  • The Annotated Alice, (Alice in Wonderland & Through the Looking Glass) by Lewis Carroll, edited by Martin Gardner
  • Shakespeare: Complete Works, Arden edition, edited by Richard Proudfoot, Ann Thompson, David Scott Kaston.
  • images Stone: B.C. ---Thirty Centuries of Northwest Coast Indian Sculpture, by Wilson Duff
  • Their Eyes Were Watching God, by Zora Neale Hurston
  • The Complete Sherlock Holmes, by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (2 volumes)
  •  A Vindication of the Rights of Woman, by Mary Wollstonecraft
  •  Memoirs of Mary Wollstonecraft, by William Godwin
  •  London Labour and the London Poor, Henry Mayhew (4 volumes)
  •  Les Miserables, in French, by Victor Hugo
  •  A really good French dictionary
  •  Shorter? Oxford English Dictionary ( 2 volumes with magnifier-this could come in handy anyway)
And as then, I’d like these all in really nice editions. Paperbacks wouldn’t last on the island, & I bet even leather bound books (kept as carefully as I could) would outlast me.

And a whole pile of journals and good pencils (and sharpeners) to write about the books.

No comments: