Friday, January 31, 2014

James Walter Scott - Manitoba - 52 Ancestors

My grandfather, James Walter Scott (known as Walter), was born in Nottawa, Ontario in 1885. I have quite a lot of information about his Scott family and have a basic family tree here.

At the turn of the century in 1902, Grandpa moved to Manitoba by himself and settled in Newdale where he met and married my grandmother, Amy Estella Irwin, in 1910.

According to my grandmother, Grandpa Scott first worked in Thomas N. Peter's store. In the 1910s, he was in  business operating a general store with W. R. (William Robert) Lavery. This photograph, identified by my grandmother as showing Grandpa (on your right), W. R. Lavery (left) and Jack Kaskey (centre) together, seems to corroborate my mother's information - that he was also in business with at least one other person. I would like to learn more about Mr. Kaskey.


Walter Scott, Jack Kaskey, W.R. Lavery, Cabinet card; no photographer's information. Private collection.

It appears that there was a second photograph taken of the three men on the same day. I've posted that on tmy Newdale Genealogy website today.

2 comments:

Colleen G. Brown Pasquale said...

Happy Blog anniversary! This is my first visit to your blog & glad I stopped by. Hope you have many happy posts & wonderful discoveries ahead!

Yvonne Demoskoff said...

I just read that February 3 is your 9th blogiversary, Diane! Congrats and many more years of writing!