Thursday, March 04, 2010

Mum's Secrets - Treasure Chest Thursday


Long ago, when I was a youngster, this book of my mum's was in our house. At some point, like most of the books in our house, it ended up in my room on the bookshelves Dad made for me. As far as I remember, it was in poor shape then, and at some point was taped together as you can see now. (Not by me, I swear!)

My Mum was already 31, almost 32, when she had me, and I never heard many stories about her as a young woman. Her possession of this well worn book on palmistry added a bit of mystery to her personality for me. I always knew her as quite a practical, clear-headed, little nonsense type person, although we did have a Ouija board - all for fun - and I remember we had our fortunes told in the tea leaves at a tea room on Granville Street in Vancouver once when I was a child . Now I don't even remember what was said. I just remember us having tea out together, maybe as this was something a little unusual.

The pressed flowers were hers. Now I wonder what they meant to her...

Cheiro's last words of 'Advice To The Student'

Lastly, do not be for ever on the look out for faults and failings in the subject whose hands you may be examining, remember no one is perfect, and that faults and failings may in the end be as stepping stones "by which we rise from our dead selves to higher things."




Palmistry For All by Cheiro (Toronto: McClelland & Stewart, Limited, 1920).

Cheiro, aka William John Warner, Count Louis Hamon, biographical information at the Astrologers' Memorial, developed by Donna Cunningham.

Some of you know me; I just have to look people up. I took a quick look, but didn't see a mention of where Cheiro was buried (or not). I wondered if he had an interesting gravestone. Does anyone know?


1 comment:

Linda Hughes Hiser said...

This is very interesting. As a kid, I can remember my galpal and I taking the streetcar into Pittsburgh and having lunch together at a tearoom and then having our fortunes told with the woman using cards. This has brought back a fun memory for me. Thanks!