Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Just Make Up Some Lyrics Genealogy Challenge - My Songs

Bill West, over at West in New England posted a challenge earlier this month -

The Just Make Up Some Lyrics Genealogy Challenge

Well, after I saw the great songs that were already posted, I was very worried. I make no pretense of being musically inventive or creative (although I used to sing out loud and in public - but no more).

Still I had said I'd enter something, so I had to think hard. When my grandson was little, I used to make up silly little singing games that he liked to play - so I thought of coming up with something I could sing to, or with, my great grandchildren someday.

What better than a simple 'round' - a song that can be sung over and over, with sections of the group repeating the parts continuously, but following each other slightly apart in time. And what better round for a Canadian than "Frère Jacques".


Here is a link to the original words and music. Click the 'music' button to hear the music.

I used the names of three 'difficult' relatives to start, but this could be adapted in many ways.

James Battice, James Battice,
Where are you? Where are you?
Cumming, Peel and Palmer, Rogers, Purvis, Archer.
Where are you? Where are you?

Mary Ann White, Mary Ann White,
Where are you? Where are you?
Adams, Murless, Parker, Peel and Collard
Where are you? Where are you?

Jesse Christmas, Jesse Christmas,
Where are you? Where are you?
Wedd and Woods and Saggers, Morris, Waller, Foster
Where are you? Where are you?



or, this to teach them my women's line names - maybe with some actions - showing me and my mum rocking a baby and/or reading a book!

Diane Rogers, Diane Rogers
Great grandma, Great grandma
Rogers, Scott and Irwin, Carmichael, Gilchrist
Great Grandma, Great Grandma

Janet Scott, Janet Scott
Great great grandma, Great great grandma,
Rogers, Scott and Irwin, Carmichael, Gilchrist
Great great grandma, Great great grandma.

3 comments:

Bill West said...

Diane,
This is great! Now I have "Frere
Jacques" running around in my head!

Thanks for participating!

Evelyn Yvonne Theriault said...

Do you ever sleep?

M. Diane Rogers said...

Not much!