Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Holiday Travel - Advent Calendar of Christmas Memories

December 11 - Holiday Travel

Did you travel anywhere for Christmas? How did you travel and who traveled with you? Do you remember any special trips?

We didn’t have Christmas anywhere else but home when I was young, but when my own children were small, Christmas was at the grandparents’ houses. For a few years, we moved out ‘to the country’, so we four would stay in the city overnight, having one dinner Christmas Eve at my parents-in-law’s home, another Christmas Day at my mum and dad’s. The kids looked forward to this journey with glee.

My husband comes from a big family, so Christmas Eve meant a houseful of people – and lots of talking and music from the player piano. My parents’ place was very quiet compared to that, with just the six of us. The kids were still excited though, till long after we went home.

I tried to have my children’s photographs taken each year as my parents did for us. We'd then give these pictures to the grandparents for Christmas. This is a favourite from the ‘country years’. (My grandson will be interested, but I won't embarrass my kids with names and dates.)

Check out other holiday writing here: http://destinationaustinfamily.blogspot.com/

No comments: