Saturday, December 22, 2007

Christmas Music - Advent Calendar of Christmas Memories

December 21 - Christmas Music

What songs did your family listen to during Christmas? Did you ever go caroling? Did you have a favorite song?

I did go Chrismas caroling in groups, but with the Guides or the Explorers, not with friends in a casual neighbourhood event, at least not that I remember. We did listen to Christmas music all the time in late December– it was on the radio and television and on records as sung by Bing Crosby, Perry Como, and Robert Goulet. We must have had some jazz or big band versions as my dad loved jazz.

I do remember singing Christmas songs and hymns a lot – at church, at school and at home and I remember tapping my feet at holiday concerts of the Vancouver ‘Beefeater Band’ – my brother played in it.

Although where I live it doesn’t snow much (except on the mountains where snow really belongs), I still like the wintery songs the best, ‘Jingle Bells’, ‘Frosty the Snowman’ and ‘White Christmas’, for example. These were among the most popular ones when I was younger, along with ‘Rudolf the Red Nosed Reindeer’ and ‘Santa Claus is Coming to Town’.

I’m listening to Elvis - ‘Why Can’t Every Day Be Like Christmas’ right now. In my teens, Elvis sang ‘Merry Christmas, Baby’ and ‘Peace in the Valley’.

I mustn’t forget another favourite of my 'youth' - ‘Jingle Bell Rock”. I don’t remember dancing to that, but I’m sure I did as we went to dances all the time.

For many more memories of Christmas music: http://destinationaustinfamily.blogspot.com/

No comments: