Friday, July 19, 2013

BC Genealogical Society Library Week - Geneabloggers visiting and volunteering in Surrey, BC

In case anyone's wondering where I am, I've been busy volunteering for the British Columbia Genealogical Society's annual Library Week. Still two days left to visit !

BCGS Walter Draycott Library   shelf, 2013


This is our free Library Week - anyone can come and see what BCGS has at its Walter Draycott Library in Surrey, BC, get some help if they are starting out with genealogy or have hit an obstacle in their research. Many stay all day and attend the classes we offer each day to learn something new. It's always great to meet and talk to both the newbies and others who've been doing genealogy a while. We all can learn so much from each other.

This week there have been two Canadian Geneabloggers here besides myself, Celia Lewis and Yvonne Demoskoff.

Celia blogs at Twigs and Trees. She has some great surnames in her family! (I'm a bit jealous.)  Her last post is about her GILLESPIE-ARMSTRONG families though. Do have a look in case you have a connection there.

And Yvonne, who writes Yvonne's Genealogy Blog, has just started Doukhobor Photos, featuring photographs from the Demoskoff family albums. She's hoping to identify some of the people and places in the photos which are from Saskatchewan and British Columbia, Canada. Drop by, have a good look and let Yvonne know if you can help.

3 comments:

Celia Lewis said...

I really appreciate the mentions of my Northern Ireland surnames, Diane! Sorry I'm missing y'all today, but music calls - I'm almost ready to head down to Folk Music Festival starting in a few hours!! Enjoy!

Celia Lewis said...

Thanks for the mention of my Northern Ireland surnames and blog post, Diane! Sorry I'll be missing today at the BCGS Library but music calls - I'm almost ready to head down to the Folk Music Festival in a few hours! In the meantime, I'm doing a bit more research this afternoon on another Irish ancestor, Elizabeth CAMPION, who married Charles LEWIS, about 1853 in Addington county, Canada West. Hope the Library is buzzing today and tomorrow! Cheers.

Yvonne Demoskoff said...

I really enjoyed my first-time visit to the BCGS Library and wrote about it at http://yvonnesgenealogyblog.blogspot.ca/2013/07/society-saturday-british-columbia.html

Also, thanks for mentioning my new Doukhobor Photos blog, Diane; much appreciate it!